Pro Tools 12.4 Download & Information
This is a very exciting update to Pro Tools. The major new feature to this 12.4 update is track freeze! This will be useful for all users. If you have a laptop with a lack in processing power, this will help. Even if you have a powerful machine and happen to have a really large session, track freeze will come in handy as well!
- Offline Bounce post Plug-in audio from selected Instrument, Aux Input, or Audio Tracks directly in-place on the source track and deactivate plug-ins to reduce system usage
- Freeze up to any point within the plug-in processing chain, rendering audio through one or more Inserts in while leaving those after it active for further mix adjustment
- Continue to automate and mix on frozen tracks - all track parameters like volume, mute, and send settings remain editable while tracks are Frozen, along with the parameters and automation for any plug-ins that remain unfrozen
- By default tracks are frozen up to the last used insert; no need to unfreeze a track before adding new Plug-ins to refine your mix
- Easily Freeze all used outputs of a multi-out virtual instrument with intelligent detection of all tracks receiving plug-in output stems from a track that is to be frozen
- Waveforms appear on Frozen Aux and Instrument Tracks; Instrument Tracks continue to show MIDI note source material beneath the waveform
- Regenerate missing rendered frozen files: if all required plug-ins and source audio files are found when opening a session, you may choose to automatically regenerate all missing Frozen audio.
There are plenty of bug fixes and updates that can all be found in the release notes!
System Requirements and Compatibility with Pro Tools 12.4 Software (more info)
- Mac OS X 10.11-10.11.1 (El Capitan), 10.10.3-10.10.5 (Yosemite), 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
- Windows 8.1 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit - Note that Windows 10 qualification is still in progress
- If using Pro Tools 12.3.1 with Avid Artist, S3, S5-Hybrid and MCPro on Mountain Lion or Mavericks you should install EuControl 3.2 or higher (My Artist Login)
- S6 owners should update to version 1.4.1 if using Pro Tools 12.0 or higher (Avid Account > My Products and Subscriptions > S6 Software Update > Show
- Pro Tools 12.4 Release Notes
- Pro Tools 12.4 Read Me for Mac (PDF) [0.12 MB]
- Pro Tools 12.4 Read Me for Win (PDF) [0.13 MB]
- Pro Tools 12 software requires a Pro Tools 12 iLok authorization (license) to run. This can be a single license or in a bundle.
- Pro Tools HD 12 software requires both Pro Tools 12 and Pro Tools HD 12 iLok authorizations (licenses) to run. These are typically in a bundle.
- The bonus plug-ins (introduced starting with v12.2) use a Pro Tools Plan or Pro Tools HD Plan license.
- Review the licenses on your iLok at ilok.com or in iLok License Manager
- See the Support section of ilok.com for assistance with iLok License Manager, your iLok account, etc.
- Pro Tools 12.4 is a full installer (not an updater that requires a previous version installed).
- Pro Tools 12.4 uses a single installer for both Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD, only the iLok authorization is different
- Virtual Instruments and Effects for Pro Tools 12 are installed by the First AIR Effects Bundle and First AIR Instruments Bundle (formerly a single Creative Collection Installer in PT11). Run these in addition to the Pro Tools installer. (more info)
- Pro Tools HDX/HD Native Mac users, be sure to install the matching HD Driver. The HD driver may be found in the Driver Installers folder included in the 12.4 download.
- Non-HD users, please install the latest compatible driver for your Avid interface
- See the Pro Tools 12 Software Installation Guide for complete instructions
- Pro Tools 12.x co-install with Pro Tools 10.x is supported using Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion (details)
- Pro Tools 12.x co-install with Media Composer (details)
- Co-install of Pro Tools 12.x and Media Composer on Windows does not allow Media Composer to be a Video Satellite (details)
HDX Firmware Update
- Pro Tools 11.2.2 and higher requires a firmware update for HDX cards
- Firmware update takes place during Pro Tools launch
- The firmware update was tested for backwards compatibility with Pro Tools 10.3.6 and later
- HD hardware is not supported by CoreAudio on Yosemite (or later). iTunes users, please check the Read Me. Native Instruments users, click here
- See the Windows Read Me for limitations with WASAPI support (added in v12.0)
- Click here for Pro Tools 12.x Satellite Link and Video Satellite compatibility updates
- Note that not all Audio Interfaces have been qualified with El Capitan. Click here for more info.
- Owners of Pro Tools 12 on a current Upgrade Plan can install via the Apps tab in Avid Application Manager
- Review the Read Me and other docs before installing or updating Pro Tools for known issues that could impact your workflow
- Upgrades from earlier versions of Pro Tools can be purchased from the Avid Store or Avid Reseller
- Avid Accounts with eligible products are being updated. When this is completed: